Do you ever just feel stuck?
It’s one of those feelings that is hard to interpret to others, but you know understand what it is when you see it. You can feel trapped, anxious, unable to move, and unable to escape from yourself.
Everyone has experienced being stuck at some point in their life. Personally, I experienced this feeling very recently before I decided to make a change and become healthier.
Attempting to get unstuck can take hours, weeks, months, and years. There are some simple, effective ways to help speed up the process for your mental health and overall well being.
Top 5 Tips to Get Unstuck from Yourself
Tip #1 Go Outside. There are times when we are our own worst enemy. We get stuck in our own minds with stress and anxieties. The best way to escape this state of mine is to take yourself outside. Try this:
- Find a location that doesn’t cause overstimulation
- Close your eyes and sit down
- Focus on the sounds around you such as the birds, people, music, animals
- Focus on things that make you feel – the wind, the rain, the warmth of the sun, the snow around you, the grass in a field
- Practice meditative breathing. Bring in and out slowly. Free your mind of stresses, become aware of your environment, and reconnect yourself to the world with your breathing
Tip #2 Get back in touch with self-care. Sometimes no matter how hard you try, it feels like you’re not going anywhere. It can become easy and even habitual to curl up on bed with your dog and eat sweets all day. However, you don’t want to create poor habits that become barriers to taking care of yourself. Try this:
- Eat a well-balanced, healthy diet
- Find a favorite workout and stick with it
- Take a bath with your favorite essential oils, brush your hair and relax
- Surround yourself with people who make your soul feel good
- Get enough REM sleep
Tip #3 Reevaluate What’s Most Important. Consider evaluating three important things in your life by asking yourself these questions.
- What is your life purpose? What makes you get up early in the morning and stay up late at night. What are you passionate about and something you are willing to fight for?
- What are your core values? What is most important to you and why is it important? Core values can help you prioritize your life. Understanding your core values can help you break free of your stuck state and give you the motivation you need to move forward with purpose.
- Reconsider your inner circle. Are there individuals weighting you down or holding you back? These individuals can include your family, friends, peers, or colleagues. If you are doing certain things to please other people in order to meet their expectations, then it might be time to gain some clarity. Sometimes it better to release toxic people from your life in order to reevaluate yourself and your motivations.
Tip #4 Release your worries and get them off your chest. There are times it can be difficult to simply get the words out of your head and your heart. Sometimes, opening up and letting go of some of your stress and anxieties in a safe place can be enough to clear your stuck state.
- Start a journal and release whatever pops into your head – never judge yourself for how you feel and write everything down
- Speak with someone who will be unbiased and honest. This can be a close, trusted friend or a professional.
Tip #5 Celebrate your progress and achievements. Look back and recognize what you have achieved in a few days or over a week’s time. It doesn’t have to be large achievements in order to celebrate. Make a plan and continue to keep up the progress – every day and every week. Try this:
- Give yourself a small gift such as a massage or tickets to a movie
- Enjoy a good and healthy meal at a restaurant you love
- Consider enjoying an outing to your favorite theme park or park
- Be grateful for your achievements and develop a better self-purpose