Fluid Compartments | Fluid and Electrolytes NCLEX & Nursing School Exams Like A Boss

PDF DOWNLOADS FROM REVIEW

Fluid Compartments – Notes

Fluid Compartments – Slides





FLUID COMPARTMENTS NCLEX QUIZ QUESTIONS

Question 1: A solute is comprised of which of the following? SELECT ALL THAT APPLY

  1. Water
  2. Sugar
  3. Electrolytes
  4. Salt
  5. Various Nutrients

 

Question 2: Upon your morning assessment of patient in 3004 with severe burns, you notice fluid accumulating in her abdominal tissues. Her weight has not changed and her intake and output is equal? What do you suspect is happening?

  1. Normal and expected finding after a burn
  2. Document as non-pitting abdominal edema
  3. Third spacing fluid movement
  4. Intravascular compartment syndrome

 

Question 3: A nursing student is observing his or her preceptor provide a hypotonic solution to a patient for dehydration. The preceptor educates the nursing student that hypotonic solutions can cause fluid shifts into the intracellular space for cellular rehydration. What percentage of body fluid is found in the intracellular fluid?

  1. 70%
  2. 50%
  3. 30%
  4. 15%

 

Question 4: A patient is admitted from the ER with the following findings: heart rate of 120 (thready, weak pulse), 82/64 blood pressure, 20 mL/hr urinary output, and serum sodium level of 155. What interventions do expect the provider to order?

  1. No interventions are needed
  2. Administer hypertonic solution of 5% Dextrose 0.45% Sodium Chloride and monitor urinary output
  3. Administer hypotonic IV fluid and administer sodium tablets
  4. Restrict fluid intake and monitor daily weights

 

Question 5: Blood plasma can be found in which fluid compartment space?

  1. In the intravascular space, in the extracellular fluid
  2. In the interstitial space, in the intracellular fluid
  3. In the extravascular space, in the extracellular fluid
  4. In the intravascular space, in the intracellular fluid

 

Question 6: What positively charged cation is found abundantly outside of the body cells?

  1. Potassium (K)
  2. Phosphorous (P)
  3. Magnesium (M)
  4. Sodium (Na)

 

Question 7: A patient is admitted from the ER with exacerbation of congestive heart failure. What would you expect to find during your admission assessment?

  1. Flat neck and hand veins
  2. Dry tongue and mucous membranes
  3. Bradycardia and pitting edema in lower extremities
  4. Increased blood pressure and crackles throughout the lung fields

 

Question 8: The nurse provides hypertonic saline (3% NaCL) to a patient hyponatremic patient with increased intracranial pressure. The nurse understands that hypertonic solution will cause the following effect?

  1. Fluid shift out of the cells and into the extracellular fluid
  2. Fluid shift out of the cells and into the interstitial fluid
  3. Fluid shift out of the extracellular space and into the cells
  4. Fluid shifts into the cells from the extracellular fluid

 

Question 9: Tissue injury can cause an increase in white blood cell recruitment. The majority of the body’s water is contained in which of the following fluid compartments?

  1. Interstitial
  2. Intracellular
  3. Extracellular
  4. Intravascular

 

Question 10: Intracellular compartments holds water and _____________.

  1. Proteins
  2. Glucose
  3. Sodium
  4. Uric Acid

 




 

FLUID COMPARTMENTS NCLEX QUIZ ANSWERS

Question 1: A solute is comprised of which of the following? SELECT ALL THAT APPLY

  1. Water
  2. Sugar
  3. Electrolytes
  4. Salt
  5. Various Nutrients

Sugar, electrolytes, salt and various nutrients are solutes and can be dissolved in a solution.  Water is considered a solvent in which solutes can dissolve into.

 

Question 2: Upon your morning assessment of patient in 3004 with severe burns, you notice fluid accumulating in her abdominal tissues. Her weight has not changed and her intake and output is equal? What do you suspect is happening?

  1. Normal and expected finding after a burn
  2. Document as non-pitting abdominal edema
  3. Third spacing fluid movement
  4. Intravascular compartment syndrome

Third-spacing is the accumulation of extracellular fluid that is trapped in a body space caused by a burn. Third spacing can occur in many different body spaces including pericardial, peritoneal, bowel, abdominal space, pleural, and joint cavities. It is normal to not see changes in weight or urinary output with third spacing.

 

Question 3: A nursing student is observing his or her preceptor provide a hypotonic solution to a patient for dehydration. The preceptor educates the nursing student that hypotonic solutions can cause fluid shifts into the intracellular space for cellular rehydration. What percentage of body fluid is found in the intracellular fluid?

  1. 70%
  2. 50%
  3. 30%
  4. 15%

The total body fluid contained within the cells is 70%. The extracellular fluid makes up the remaining 30% of total body fluid.

 

Question 4: A patient is admitted from the ER with the following findings: heart rate of 120 (thready, weak pulse), 82/64 blood pressure, 20 mL/hr urinary output, and serum sodium level of 155. What interventions do expect the provider to order?

  1. No interventions are needed
  2. Administer hypertonic solution of 5% Dextrose 0.45% Sodium Chloride and monitor urinary output
  3. Administer hypotonic IV fluid and administer sodium tablets
  4. Restrict fluid intake and monitor daily weights

The goal for this patient is to re-hydrate due to volume loss and decrease sodium levels at the same time. Hypertonic solutions such as 5% Dextrose and 0.45% Sodium Chloride will help accomplish this as the 5% dextrose will rapidly metabolize to the cells leaving 0.45% normal saline. The 0.45% normal saline acts a hypotonic solution to repair vascular spaces. These fluids will help decrease sodium levels, increase blood pressure and normalize the heart rate.

 

Question 5: Blood plasma can be found in which fluid compartment space?

  1. In the intravascular space, in the extracellular fluid
  2. In the interstitial space, in the intracellular fluid
  3. In the extravascular space, in the extracellular fluid
  4. In the intravascular space, in the intracellular fluid

Blood plasma is located inside the intravascular space (blood vessel) and outside of the cells (extracellular fluid).

 

Question 6: What positively charged cation is found abundantly outside of the body cells?

  1. Potassium (K)
  2. Phosphorous (P)
  3. Magnesium (M)
  4. Sodium (Na)

Sodium is found abundantly in the extracellular fluid (outside of the cell) and potassium is found abundantly in the intracellular fluid (inside the cell).

 

Question 7: A patient is admitted from the ER with exacerbation of congestive heart failure. What would you expect to find during your admission assessment?

  1. Flat neck and hand veins
  2. Dry tongue and mucous membranes
  3. Bradycardia and pitting edema in lower extremities
  4. Increased blood pressure and crackles throughout the lung fields

Patients with CHF will experience fluid volume overload and the heart is unable to compensate for the extra fluid volume. Fluid starts to backup causing an increase in blood pressure and crackles in the lungs. You will see pitting edema in the lower extremities but not bradycardia.

 

Question 8: The nurse provides hypertonic saline (3% NaCL) to a patient hyponatremic patient with increased intracranial pressure. The nurse understands that hypertonic solution will cause the following effect?

  1. Fluid shift out of the cells and into the extracellular fluid
  2. Fluid shift out of the cells and into the interstitial fluid
  3. Fluid shift out of the extracellular space and into the cells
  4. Fluid shifts into the cells from the extracellular fluid

Hypertonic solutions have a greater concentration of solutes than blood. Fluid will move out of the cells and into the extracellular spaces. This fluid movement into the intravascular space decreases cerebral edema thus lessening intracranial pressure.

 

Question 9: Tissue injury can cause an increase in white blood cell recruitment. The majority of the body’s water is contained in which of the following fluid compartments?

  1. Interstitial
  2. Intracellular
  3. Extracellular
  4. Intravascular

The total body fluid contained within the cells is 70%. The extracellular fluid makes up the remaining 30% of total body fluid.

 

Question 10: Intracellular compartments holds water and _____________.

  1. Proteins
  2. Glucose
  3. Sodium
  4. Uric Acid

The intracellular compartment holds large amounts of water and proteins. Potassium, lipids, and nucleic acids are also components of the intracellular compartment.